Saturday, October 29, 2016

Author Interviews for Twisted: A Horror Anthology – Stacy Overby

Once upon a time, a few weeks ago, I saw a thing of wonder on my Facebook feed. All authors know of this treasure - the submission request.

Yea, though I saw the submission request, and it was for... HORROR!

A horror anthology by and about women... Hey, I can do that! So I looked through my WIPs (works-in-progress) and my ideas spreadsheet (oh, yes, I do), and I found the perfect thing.

Coming out on Halloween, "Mirror, Mirror" in Twisted: A Horror Anthology!

I am participating in a blog hop type of thing with the other authors involved in this anthology to spread the interviews far and wide. So check out the interview below, as well as the other interview posts!


Name: Stacy Overby

Short Bio: Stacy Overby works as a substance abuse counselor for teenage boys by day and as a writer by night.  Her day job provides inspiration for a number of her stories, including her short stories “The Trial of Summer” and “Karma Incarnate” releasing in October 2016.  When not at work or writing, she is playing with her son, hiking, camping, or involved in other outdoor activities – as long as it is not too cold.

Name of Story Included in Twisted: Karma Incarnate

Describe the mood of your story/stories: Dark and vengeful

Where did you get the inspiration for this piece? Honestly, there were a number of things that came together to create this story.  I work with teenagers who have experienced significant trauma.  While I have to remain professional at work, inside there have been numerous times I wanted to go out and do evil things to the people who victimized my clients.  Another little piece is that I love fantasy and mythology stories, so the idea of abstract concepts, such as karma, being something tangible is pretty appealing to me.  Plus, there's magic.  Magic is always cool.  So, when I set out to write a strong female protagonist's story, it all came together to create Karma Incarnate.  Along with a little dose of research to flesh out a few of the concepts.

What is your favorite thing about writing horror? I love messing with people on a psychological level.  That opportunity to get people to look under their beds and over their shoulders is fun.  And I enjoy doing it in a way that lets people who struggle with blood and gore have some fun, too.

What are you working on now? Wow.  That's an excellent question.  I have a number of projects in the works.  Being rather ADHD, I struggle to focus on just one.  The two big projects I'm trying to focus on are a futuristic sci-fi novel and an epic fantasy novel.  I'm hoping to start querying my futuristic sci-fi novel early next year for publication later next year.

Other published works? I have a short story called "The Trial of Summer" coming out in an anthology called Tales from Our Write Side.  Unfortunately no links yet, but keep an eye on Amazon as it is being released October 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment