Monday, July 4, 2016

Mother's Touch, Excerpt, Part 7

Part 1 is herePart 2 is herePart 3 is herePart 4 is herePart 5 is herePart 6 is here

"I can't believe you are doing this to me!"
I ignored my mother as I shoved clothes into the largest bag I owned - a mesh laundry bag with several yellow and pink stains. I finished emptying the drawers of my dresser and turned to the closet. I hesitated.
"Do I get to take the furniture? Dresser, bed... hangers?"
Mother stared at me, her eyes shining with unshed tears. "Take it all! You want to abandon me? Take everything!" She turned and wailed her way into the living room.
I sighed. I hadn't expected this to be easy, but the drama was hard after what had happened with David.
I spent another few hours collecting my things into a mishmash of bags, boxes and totes. Then, I collapsed on the stripped bed and checked the time. Almost supper, and I was hungry after all the work of packing.
I walked into the living room. "Mama? You hungry?"
I saw her curled up on the couch, staring at the wall. I moved around and sat next to her feet.
"I'm not trying to hurt you, mama. But I'm an adult now. I need to get out on my own, you know?" I rubbed her back. "I'll visit every week, and we'll have a special time just to catch up." I felt her shift. "You can tell me about work and what Mrs. Jones across the street is up to. And I'll tell you about the people I help in my work."
Mother sat up. "I guess that sounds nice. But I'll miss you every day." She reached for me and I leaned in to the embrace.
"I'll miss you, too, mama." After the urgency passed, I leaned back. "You want pizza?"
Mother nodded. "And what's this work you're talking about? You get a new job?"
I shrugged. "Not exactly."
I called for the pizza, then sat down to tell my mother about the accident, the video and Maggie with her little girl.
"So I get people contacting me and I heal them, and they pay me for it."
I looked up. Mother's face was pale and she had gone completely still. "What's wrong, mama?"
"You can't do that, LunaMae," she whispered. "You can't take money for what the spirits gave you."
"But, mama..."
"Leave! Get out. Until you learn respect for what you can do, you leave my house!"
I gasped. Mother's face was twisted with rage and fear. I ran into the bedroom and gathered as much as I could carry. I barely looked at her before running out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment