Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Mother's Touch, Excerpt, Part 5

Part 1 is herePart 2 is herePart 3 is herePart 4 is here

The pounding at the door startled me. I opened it to find two women standing, crowded on the tiny cement porch. They looked well-off, with nice clothes and a classy amount of jewelry. The look on their faces said they weren't used to this neighborhood.
Behind them, three children stood silently. A girl in a lacy, pink dress seemed exceptionally pale. The older boy, a teenager, slouched in his t-shirt and distressed jeans. The younger boy eyed the dirt in the yard as if he wanted to dig his hands into it, but wasn't sure about the reaction from his mother.
"Can I help you?" I asked.
The darker-haired woman looked directly into my eyes. "Are you Lunamae Harper? From the video?"
"I'm Lunamae," I said. "What video?"
The woman stuck out her hand. "My name is Maggie Joss. The video on the internet. The one where you saved that man. After the car accident?" She seemed a little put off.
I frowned. If a video of me saving David had gotten online... well, I wasn't sure what that would mean.
The woman huffed a breath. "My little girl," she gestured to the girl in the dress, "she has cancer. I was hoping you could help her. Like you did with that man."
My mouth fell open. I could feel my jaw hit against my neck. "Ahhh, I-I-I... What?"
The woman - Maggie, was it? - fumbled in her purse and pulled out a checkbook. "I don't know what your rates are..."
"Rates?" My mind was refusing to process any more, so I couldn't think of anything to do other than repeat the woman's words.
"I can pay $300 now and an additional $5,000 once the tests prove the cancer is gone." Her eyes had taken on a hawkish gleam. "Is that acceptable?"
I stared, certain I'd heard wrong. $5,300? To heal the girl? That wou
ld pay our rent for nearly half a year. That would get me out of my mother's house.
I nodded and waved them inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment